At times in his columns, fellow Tribune columnist, Rev. Nelson Price, suggested that Satan was involved in the current war being waged for freedom — not only here in America but all around the world.
And it is a war for the soul of America, a war that the Apostle John referenced in Revelations 12:7-12 with these words: “And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. … Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.”
While reading these words of John I thought of what God told Moses regarding Satan with these words: “Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down; And he became Satan, yea, even the devil, the father of all lies, to deceive and to blind men, and to lead them captive at his will, even as many as would not hearken unto my voice.”
These scriptures powerfully relate to what is going on in the world today – a desperate fight by Satan, using whomever is willing to succumb to his influence, to destroy the freedom restored to the world by the Lord via America’s Founding Fathers, a freedom that is under heavy attack in the current presidential election cycle.
But what does it take to destroy freedom in a nation? In 1787 Edwards Gibbons wrote extensively about this subject in his, ‘The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire’ book. In this book Gibbons enumerated the five steps that led to the self-destruction of the Roman Empire. Note how closely related these five steps are to the road America is now on, with a total division amongst the American people. Gibbons five steps leading to Rome’s, and perhaps Americas’ self-destruction were:
1. “The undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home, which is the basis of [all] human society.” (How does this compare with the Supreme Court’s recent rulings on marriage?)
2. “Higher and higher taxes and the spending of public monies for bread and circuses for the populace.” (America’s business taxes are the highest in the world!)
3. “The mad craze for pleasure, sports becoming every year more and more exciting and brutal.” (Sports stadiums are full on Sunday while churches remain half empty)
4. “The building of gigantic armaments when the real enemy was within the decadence of the people.” (The real enemy in America today is its ever-growing rejection of God’s laws.)
5. “The decay of religion – faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life, and becoming impotent to warn and guide the people.” (The churches continue to lose active membership and seem afraid to speak out against the corruption they see in government today.)
Is America descending down these same five steps today? Growing numbers believe it is. I wonder what Gibbons would write today about America’s near destruction of the traditional family; about America’s nearly $29 trillion debt; about America’s craze for sports; or about the decay of America’s religious foundation.
Anyone who does their homework soon realizes that not only was America founded on God’s “perfect laws of liberty” that America’s Founders found in their bibles, but they embedded those principles of freedom deep into America’s foundational documents, its Declaration of Independence and Constitution.
Yes, America’s real war today in not between Biden and Trump, it is between good and evil. Moses’ warning to the ancient Israelites found in Deuteronomy 28:15 is also a warning to America today. It reads: “But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:”
Perhaps America should take stock of its current relationship with the Founder’s God and hearken unto His voice again, as did America’s Founding Fathers.