The annexation and rezoning of approximately one acre of land located in between Palm Street and Palm Lake Drive were discussed at Monday’s Holly Springs City Council work session meeting.
The property will become city right-of-way. The city is requesting that this property be rezoned to governmental until the project is finished.
The land was recently purchased for the purpose of creating a drainage project along Palm Street and the nearby railroad. The project is expected to begin in spring 2020.
At the Holly Springs Planning and Zoning Commission meeting on Nov. 14 meeting, the commission approved the requests.
The Cherokee County Board of Commissioners also discussed these requests at their Nov. 19 meeting. The board voted 5-0 to direct staff to express in writing that there were no concerns or objections with the annexation.
These requests will be voted on at the Dec. 16 City Council business meeting.
Other agenda items that were discussed included:
- Proposed meeting dates and calendar dates for 2020.
- A resolution to dissolve the Main Street Board due to the scope of work of the no longer being necessary.
- Annual appointments concerning the Downtown Development Authority, the Holly Springs Parks and Recreation Authority, the Holly Springs Planning and Zoning Commission, the City of Holly Springs Tree Commission, recommendation for Holly Springs Municipal Court Judge and Judge Pro Tem, Holly Springs Municipal Prosecuting Attorney and Assistant Prosecuting Attorney.
- An agreement for public works contract operations between Optech Monette and the city of Holly Springs.
- Annual appointments for Mayor Pro Tem and standing committees.
- A compensation agreement between Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc. and the city of Holly Springs.
- Georgia Municipal Employees Benefits System Restated Defined Benefit Retirement Plan.
- Possible renewal of worker’s compensation insurance with the Georgia Municipal Association Workers Compensation Self-Insurance Fund.
The next city council meeting is 7 p.m. Dec. 16.