Open enrollment for the Cherokee County School District’s Georgia Lottery Pre-K program begins in February.

The early start provides parents more time to seek other preschool options should their 4-year-old not win a spot in the lottery drawing for the program’s limited seats, school system officials said.

According to a written statement from school system Communications Director Barbara Jacoby:

Classes will be offered at: Ball Ground Elementary School STEM Academy; Hasty Elementary School Fine Arts Academy; Oak Grove Elementary School Fine Arts Academy; R.M. Moore Elementary School STEM Academy; and Johnston Elementary School Preschool Center.

Parents can apply between 8 a.m. and noon on Mondays through Fridays from Monday, Feb. 3, through Friday, March 6, at the participating schools as noted above. Names will be drawn at 3 p.m. on March 11 to fill available spaces.

Who can apply?Students who are 4 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2020 are eligible to enroll in Georgia Lottery Pre-K. Out-of-attendance zone students will be admitted only after all 4-year-olds who live within the school attendance area and who applied have been enrolled.

What to bring to enrollment?Proof of Date of Birth: Certified Copy of Birth Certificate. A certified copy of the student’s birth certificate, certified hospital issued birth record or birth certificate; a passport, an adoption record; a religious record signed by an authorized religious official; or, If none of these evidences can be produced, an affidavit of age sworn to by the parent/legal guardian accompanied by a certificate of age signed by a licensed, practicing physician. The certificate completed by the physician must verify that a physical examination has occurred, and that the physician believes the age indicated on the affidavit is substantially correct.

Proof of Immunization and Health Screening: Certificate of Immunization (DPH Form 3231). This form must be obtained from the Public Health Department or a physician. Note: Parents/legal guardians who are seeking a religious waiver from the state immunization requirement must request a waiver form from the appropriate school staff.

Certificate of Vision, Hearing, Dental, and Nutrition Screening (DPH Form 3300). This form must be obtained from the Public Health Department or a physician.

Proof of Social Security Number: Official copy of child’s Social Security card or a signed waiver.

Proof of Parent/Guardianship: Provide a picture ID at the time of enrollment. The name on the ID should match the name on the documentation being provided for enrollment.

Proof of Residency:

For Parents/Legal Guardians Who Own Their Residence – One Item: a current residential property tax statement (if there is no tax bill, then the purchase/closing information for the residence can be used). The record must include the name of the parent/legal guardian.

For Parents/Legal Guardians Who Are Renting a Residence – Two Items: (1) a lease or rental agreement consisting of the written evidence that the agreement is valid; and (2) a district-designated affidavit signed by the property owner which will allow for appropriate verification of residency.

For Parents/Legal Guardians Who Are Occupying Another Person’s Home – Two Items: (1) a district-designated affidavit signed by the parent/legal guardian; and (2) a district-designated affidavit signed by the property owners.

Parents with questions are asked to call the front office of the school where they plan to enroll their children.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.