The Clayton Food Store at the intersection of Upper Burris Road and Land Road was damaged in a fire Wednesday morning.

According to Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Tim Cavender:

Firefighters responded to a call regarding fire at the store shortly before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. A caller to Cherokee 911 reported that the grill in the back of the building was on fire.

Cherokee County firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke coming from the building.

“They then began an offensive attack on the building before conducting a primary search of the facility. The firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control at approximately 10:53 a.m.,” Cavender said.

No injuries were reported in the blaze. The store, located at 3421 Land Road, is a well known landmark business in the Clayton community and suffered significant damage to its interior. The store suffered a small grease fire in its kitchen in April of 2017 that caused minimal damage, according to a post on the business’ Facebook page.

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, residents need trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by purchasing a digital subscription. Your subscription will allow you unlimited access to important local news stories. Our mission is to keep our community informed and we appreciate your support.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.