The Cherokee County Board of Commissioners has proclaimed May as Water Safety Month in Cherokee County, encouraging residents to be safe while in and around water.
Water Safety Month is an annual awareness campaign encouraging safe and enjoyable aquatic activities to the American public, from home pools and spas, to water parks and resorts, to public swimming and water recreation facilities.
The board signed a pledge with the proclamation, which encourages the public to:
- Designate a water watcher every single time children are in or near the water.
- Make sure all children know how to swim.
- As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
- Always remove portable pool ladders when not in use.
- Ensure all permanent pools have a proper fence and gate, as well as safe drain covers.
- Never swim alone.
- Asking parents or guardians to sign children up for swimming lessons.
- Stay away from drains in the pool or hot tub.
- Have fun and always follow these safety steps when in and around the water.