July 5 fountain

In this July 5 photo, people visit booths from local businesses and organizations at Woodstock’s Independence Day festival around the fountain at the Park at City Center.

The population of Cherokee County grew by nearly a quarter in the last decade, according to 2020 data released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Cherokee County’s population was 266,620 in 2020, up 24.4% from the reported population of 214,346 in 2010, according to census data released Thursday. The results place Cherokee County firmly as the state’s seventh largest county. Only Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, DeKalb, Clayton and Chatham counties were reported to have larger populations than Cherokee.

A reported 67.6% of Cherokee County residents responded to the census.

The completion and release of the 2020 Census data was delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic, and much of the data is still to be released.

Census data also showed Cherokee becoming more racially and ethnically diverse.

A reported 76.8% of respondents in Cherokee County were white, down from 86.6% in 2010. Every nonwhite group except Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islanders grew in its share of Cherokee’s population in the last 10 years.

Those identifying as Hispanic or Latino of any race, Cherokee’s largest ethnic minority, grew from 9.6% in 2010 to 12% in 2020.

Residents identifying as being of two or more races jumped from 2.1% of the county’s total population in 2010 to 9.2% in 2020. Cherokee County was 6.7% African-American, 4.7% people who counted themselves as “some other race,” 2.1% Asian, 0.5% Native American and less than 0.1% Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander.

Cherokee County’s adult population grew faster than its numbers of children, and now adults make up a larger share of the overall population. 2020’s census data showed the number of residents at least 18 years old grew by 23.4%, while the number of children under 18 grew by 7.5%.

As of 2020, 202,928 people in Cherokee County, or 76.1%, are at least 18 years old, and the remaining 23.9% are children. In 2010, those figures were 72.5% 18 and older, and 27.5% under 18. More detailed age information has not yet been released.

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.